OEEsystems International provide automated, real-time, OEE Software and Expertise to the world’s leading progressive manufacturing companies. This gives them with complete visibility into their manufacturing processes helping them to reduce costs, increase capacity and be more competitive.
Every day we engage with manufacturing companies who are attempting to use a simple spreadsheet to manage OEE in their business. They find it is fraught with difficulties and frustration and in this article we outline 5 compelling reasons why you should consider switching from using a spreadsheet to an Automated OEE Software Solution.
1. A Labour Intensive Exercise – The first problem companies’ cite is the labour intensive nature of collecting OEE data on a spreadsheet. Typically operators attempt to collect data on paper and then they or a colleague will transcribe it into a spreadsheet. This process can take individuals hours or even days at a time quickly adding up to weeks if measured on an annual basis. It can also mean that data may not be ready in time for key review meetings and this can result in meetings being delayed or even cancelled. Sound familiar! On the other hand an OEE software solution will automate the collection of data making life easier, saving you time and money with more effective use of human resource and skills management. It allows the team to concentrate on the more important, rewarding issues leading to a happier and more fulfilled workforce.
2. Old & Time-lagged data – The next frustration they face is that when the spreadsheet data is eventually ready for review it is now old and time-lagged so it will be just reporting historical losses. The best performing manufacturers deal with OEE losses either before or as they happen not after the event. If OEE losses can be predicted they can also be avoided! A spreadsheet is simply just not sophisticated enough to handle this requirement. An automated OEE software tool is the fastest, most accurate and reliable form of capturing manufacturing data, removing the requirement for operator input and spreadsheets and with the capability to send information “on demand” to your device of choice. A “World Class” OEE software solution will monitor performance in real-time, providing timely visibility into your manufacturing performance metrics to aid speedy decision making.
3.Inaccurate & Unreliable data – Another common difficulty is the accuracy and reliability of the data. This is no reflection on the individuals collecting and analysing the information but as you know a manufacturing environment can be a complex, high speed environment. The manufacturing team’s key focus is to keep the production line running according to plan so to ask them to manually record issues on the line can be a big ask. There is also usually a very large volume of data to handle so it is only natural that some human error may creep in. The problem with inaccurate data is that unfortunately it cannot be relied upon and this lack of confidence means it probably won’t be used!
4.Data Presentation – We have already acknowledged that manufacturing facilities can be very complex environments sometimes with multiple processes, discrete, batch & continuous, multiple lines, shifts and even facilities. The collation of manual data by spreadsheet typically leads to a “paper mountain”. So you have collected pages and pages of data but now how do you convert this into meaningful information that will highlight key performance issues that the team can focus on and fix? You now have some idea of your OEE score but how can you use spreadsheet data to help you improve your score? On the other hand a “Best In Class” OEE software solution will be highly visual and with the click of a button provide you with the ability to see into your processes and have a clear understanding of your top losses with the most potential for improvement. It will be in simple, non-technical language which can tell you what you need to do to address these losses to deliver increased bottom line profits. It will provide you with a wide range of customised reports & dashboards to suit the needs of various colleagues and users within the business no matter where they are located.
5.Return On Investment – And finally, manual collection of OEE data by spreadsheet is a significant investment of time and money. Furthermore given the issues already outlined you would have to ask how long it will be before you start to see the benefits of your efforts with increased OEE scores and improved bottom line results and the return on this investment. Typically an OEE software solution will also show you the financial impact of OEE losses so now you can understand the financial cost of downtime, changeovers, scrap and rework costs. And, unlike a spreadsheet you can also integrate OEE software with other disparate manufacturing systems combining business and operational analytics to drive financial improvements.
With an increased focus on competitiveness and additional complexity in manufacturing environments more and more progressive manufacturing companies are switching from spreadsheets to specialised OEE software tools. They find it transforms previous business practices, making life easier, allowing them to make more, quality products in less time and at a reduced cost.
If you are considering switching from spreadsheet to specialised OEE software and want to understand how OEEsystems International’s software PerformOEE™ and expertise addresses the issues raised in this article why not contact us by:
– Visiting the Contact Us section of our website www.performoee.com
– Call us on +353-(0)52-6181900 or
– Email info@OEEsystems.com.
We’ll be happy to answer all your questions!
Author: Angela Drum, OEEsystems International.